Flamethrower addition a Possibility?

Talk about anything that has to do with the Game.
{W.W}Dauntless
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Flamethrower addition a Possibility?

Post by {W.W}Dauntless »

Of course it's possible to add new units, we've seen it before, but I question the possibility because I'm considering doing this myself. The Flamethrower is an iconic weapon of the Army Men universe due to the absolutely horrific deaths it inflicts on plastic soldiers. There's even a file on the PS2 version of the game that features the unit evidently cut from the final release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjJDueGJ03g What would the game gain with the addition of a Flamethrower? If recruit-able from the standard Barracks, no upgrade required, the unit could be effective against Infantry and Structures, but near useless against Armor, and Air units could not be attacked at all. It would basically be a worse Machinegunner, but cheaper and build-able at the game's start.

This unit should be in the game, plain and simple, but how to do it? One option is to make Scorch available for purchase, or give another unit the flame attack, or we could make a new unit entirely. What I want to see isn't like reinventing the wheel or anything; I just want to equip the flamethrower in game to a generic soldier recruit-able from the Barracks. Unfortunately, the game does not allow editing of .god file models as far as I know, so the unit has to be made from scratch.

My own knowledge of creating a new model, animating it, and putting it into the game, is quite limited. I need whatever knowledge you modders out there can share, starting with what program to use, and how to draw the model within it. I've seen some threads on how to add units to the game, or edit existing ones, but nothing about making new units.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Flamethrower addition a Possibility?

Post by TommyCD1 »

I have all the assets to the flamethrower. The .god file off the PS2 disc, the necessary textures, and all that hoo-hah. The problem is getting the .god file to be readable on a PC. If we could just band together and do that... then I would DEFINITELY get this unit working. I unfortunately also have little to no knowledge of modeling. So calling all super-tech guys. :D

The .god file straight from the PS2 disc for those who are interested.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g6j0ih4r3u3irjj

Also Dauntless, did you film the video linked? If so, could you tape the entire screen and showcase all of the intelligence files, like all the buttons and what they do. Also the effect of controller input. This would be very helpful to me in my conversion of the intelligence files to the PC. Thanks.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
{W.W}Dauntless
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Post by {W.W}Dauntless »

Sadly, I have the free version on PC, so I can't help with that, but I know at least one person with access to the console version, and considering he made a 30min YouTube video about why Army Men is one of his favorite video game series, he might be courteous enough to record the clip to help us out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSXSy9l7L1k
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

flamer.god file

Post by Secg »

I've got Dauntless' CO-Doubles mod and the Flamethrower. & I added that Flamethrower into my own mod (after I modded him a bit)

Still, the Flamethrower from this mod looks suspiciously like the Paratroopers without the ring on his head.

I wanna ask TommyCD1 if this Flamethrower shown here is indeed the .god file from the PS2?

ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

it is the paratrooper model that is already used ingame. There are no models from the ps2 version currently because the files of the ps2 version are encrypted and cannot be read by the game.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974