AI talk

Talk about anything that has to do with the Game.
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

AI talk

Post by DreadedGhoul575 »

I've learnt about some of the AI such as they retreat their units at times, but I wonder if there's a way to make a godlike AI that reacts perfectly e.g.
Default: grunt on low health with other units "I'll keep pushing on to the enemy base, I'm no different to these guys right?"
Godlike: grunt on low health " Hmm, I should retreat this poor guy back to the medic near the HQ and let the squad carry on without him for now..." However, I do know that AI has their limits, because they only have one thought, and that is "They're all in the same squad, they're all the same, even the medic can destroy the HQ!" (they don't retreat the medic once all the units have died, but instead rush it to where the enemy is like nothing).

I wish there was a way to ask Pandemic Studios on how they created their AIs (Default and gb) and what codes make them do what. AI isn't that important in games, but I like playing with bots/AI/CPU on games, or online games because it not only helps you learn the game, but also it's fun watching them battle it out.

P.S A 'basic' way to edit the AI is by downloading Notepad++ and opening the default ai with the notepad++, then you'll see all the code.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: AI talk

Post by TommyCD1 »

DreadedGhoul575 wrote:" Hmm, I should retreat this poor guy back to the medic near the HQ and let the squad carry on without him for now..."
Unfortunately I'd have to agree with this, it's not actually possible to get the AI to save their units because they are all in 1 squad. Unless of course you gave each unit it's own movement, but then they wouldn't move together anymore. :BOO
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:"They're all in the same squad, they're all the same, even the medic can destroy the HQ!" (they don't retreat the medic once all the units have died, but instead rush it to where the enemy is like nothing).
=))
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:I wish there was a way to ask Pandemic Studios on how they created their AIs (Default and gb) and what codes make them do what.
Pandemic Studios along with 3DO unfortunately went bankrupt a long time ago... I think the Army Men rights are currently owned by EA, or Global Star games or seomthing like that, but I doubt any of the original people who worked on either Dark Reign 2, it's engine, or Army Men RTS are still in the business and able to be contacted today.
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:P.S A 'basic' way to edit the AI is by downloading Notepad++ and opening the default ai with the notepad++, then you'll see all the code.
You gotta realize though that when you edit the file this way, with just Notepad++, then you gotta keep the file size the EXACT same, down to the character count. And make sure to keep the edits in the same .cfg file within the .x file. It's all very complicated, hard, and unnecessary. I would just extract the .x with this.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Re: AI talk

Post by DreadedGhoul575 »

TommyCD1 wrote:
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:" Hmm, I should retreat this poor guy back to the medic near the HQ and let the squad carry on without him for now..."
Unfortunately I'd have to agree with this, it's not actually possible to get the AI to save their units because they are all in 1 squad. Unless of course you gave each unit it's own movement, but then they wouldn't move together anymore. :BOO
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:"They're all in the same squad, they're all the same, even the medic can destroy the HQ!" (they don't retreat the medic once all the units have died, but instead rush it to where the enemy is like nothing).
=))
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:I wish there was a way to ask Pandemic Studios on how they created their AIs (Default and gb) and what codes make them do what.
Pandemic Studios along with 3DO unfortunately went bankrupt a long time ago... I think the Army Men rights are currently owned by EA, or Global Star games or seomthing like that, but I doubt any of the original people who worked on either Dark Reign 2, it's engine, or Army Men RTS are still in the business and able to be contacted today.
DreadedGhoul575 wrote:P.S A 'basic' way to edit the AI is by downloading Notepad++ and opening the default ai with the notepad++, then you'll see all the code.
You gotta realize though that when you edit the file this way, with just Notepad++, then you gotta keep the file size the EXACT same, down to the character count. And make sure to keep the edits in the same .cfg file within the .x file. It's all very complicated, hard, and unnecessary. I would just extract the .x with this.
Yeah, the only way to get a clever AI like that is a completely new engine :BOO, oh well, it's still good that you can edit the AI and stuff, however, it would be good knowing what each part of the code does (the unknown bits like the 'op 0.25' summat like that.