Bad Stutter/Lag

Having problems with AMRTS? Having problems with your Computer?
Seventeen
Sniper
Sniper

Bad Stutter/Lag

Post by Seventeen »

On my second PC I have for guests to LAN on I have installed Army Men RTS. After playing the game for about 30 minutes it starts to lag really bad. It may freeze for 5 seconds then fast forward to catch up to real time. Units have animation problem, dump trucks look like they're flying. Not only in LAN games does it lag, but on the main menu as well (after a short time of playing the game). The PC has about 1GB of RAM running on an AMD 1.99GHz processor. Video card is a Nvidia 7600GT. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Re: Bad Stutter/Lag

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

Welcome first of all.

Its obvious the pc should handle the game without a problem, so I would start looking at the basics.

You said its installed on a 2nd pc which is connected to a network. Anyone downloading or browsing the internet on any other pc at the same time? Im sure you know that will cause that lagging like you said.

I would also check:
Does the hard drive have enough free space
Is there tons of programs installed
Do any programs runs in the background (example. anti virus scanner, updaters..)
While playing, do you have programs running, like messenger, internet explorer..
As for the animation problems, do you have an LCD? Some LCD screens are known for causing "ghosting" effects.. like what you said. If not, check to see if you have the proper graphics card driver installed. Also, try playing with the video settings in the game by going to options, try changing the texture/world settings.

It could be a memory problem as well, 1GB is enough for the game, but if other applications are running in the background, that could easily cause problems.

I would probably look to see what things I know I don't need on there and start deleting and uninstalling. I know these are really basic things and you probably already checked all these but its always good to start with the basics.
mmm
Seventeen
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Seventeen »

The only thing the other PC does when Army Men RTS is up is have Army Men RTS up as well. The hard drive on the affected computer has 400GB+ free space. Not many programs are installed. Every non-vital program is turned off while running Army Men RTS. I do have an LCD screen, but I'm sure that's not the problem. I use a new 19 inch for the old PC, it used to use my 22 inch which I currently use on my main PC. I recall trying to play story mode with the old PC and monitor I got the lag from that after a while too. If it were monitor related I would be getting it on the main PC as well. Thanks for your reply though, however I fear the problem might not be that simple.

Just to clarify: the animation problems only occur when the lag starts to kick in.
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

Ok, yea it seems it might be a bigger problem.
Just so you know, I'm not a computer nerd or anything lol.. The next thing I would do, is try to eliminate the graphics card. If you have time, you can try remove the graphics card and using the one on the newer comp if it has one. If not, then try using the on-board graphics card and of course, install the drivers. I know the graphics card you have on is nice, but if it continues, at least you know its not that. By the way, does it have 2 512mb sticks or 1gb stick on the ram?
Seventeen
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Seventeen »

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not the graphics card as this is the only game it happens to. Army Men RTS isn't the most visually demanding game. All the video drivers are up to date. As for the RAM, it's 2 512MB sticks.
Dread+MarKana
Helper
Helper

Post by Dread+MarKana »

It could be a problem caused by corrupt data in the game which could be causing the problem. You can try downloading the game from www.no1-team.cjb.net . Good luck
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

If its just the game, try to reinstall like Dread said.
Seventeen
Sniper
Sniper

Post by Seventeen »

Sadly, I don't think that's the problem either. I use the same install for both PCs and my main one runs it fine with no lag.
Dread+MarKana
Helper
Helper

Post by Dread+MarKana »

If thats the case, your pc ( the one that lags ) has virus. You should install antivirus if you dont have one installed and check your pc for malicious software in your pc and clean it up.
Dread+MarKana
Helper
Helper

Post by Dread+MarKana »

If antivirus doesnt work then you should try formatting your pc and do a fresh install of your operating system.