The JDA_Guardians strike back

Show off your cool AMRTS pictures here
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

The JDA_Guardians strike back

Post by Nullen »

At long last I have finally gotten the guardian into the game with intact animations! Though for some reason I can't get the textures working so they still look like Gundam rejects; if I include the .pic files then the game crashes, and I have no idea how to convert them to .tga. If somebody can help me out with getting the textures then I would really appreciate it!
Made another modification to my 8train mod that replaces the ant soldier with the JDA dude. As you can see they have movement anims.
Idle anims as well but they don't play very often
Yellow launches a bold assault, the Guardians give them a warm welcome
Grey attacks from the other side and the Guardians respond accordingly
"THIS IS WHERE WE STAND, THIS IS WHERE WE DIE!"
The Grey aggressors are made short work of, shortly after the skirmish, an intimidating army of harmless dump trucks approaches
Meanwhile, green launches an attack from the left....
...And the attackers are all reduced to melted plastic
Attacking Grey's watchtower and retreating to show that we mean business
Dump trucks, dump trucks everywhere...
Multicolored soldiers who probably weren't too happy about their dump trucks in the middle of the map getting destroyed arrive on the scene
The guardian's downfall? Concentrated fire and his short weapon range

So the guardian is sort of like the Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2. They have slow movement speed compared to everyone else and they take some time to ready their weapons but they pack a big punch once they're shooting

Should I release this? I kinda want to wait until the textures are working before releasing but if people want it I'd be more than happy to upload it in the modification section
Keep calm and get angry
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: The JDA_Guardians strike back

Post by TommyCD1 »

If you send me the .XSI files (not the .god) and tell me how you get them working using the DR2 meshviewer, I could fix the textures, the size, and the animations for you.

(Promise I won't steal. I have no use for them anyway) ;)
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

Sure, no problem! I'm pretty sure the guardian's .xsi files come with the meshviewer already so there really isn't anything to steal anyway :D
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddpy8 ... assets.rar

To get it working ingame I followed this tutorial in MeshViewer's documentation
Creating GOD Files

Initial Creation

Type the desired scale for the new model in the Scale field at the top of the Mesh Files dialog, then press Enter.
Make sure the Multi, Cycle, AllCycle, and Attach buttons are unselected.
Find the base xsi file (the one without a dash in the name that doesn't animate) in the list and double click it to load the file.
If there are animation cycles to load, select the Cycle button then double click on each cycle file to load it.
Alternately, if there are no undesired animation files in the list, select the AllCycle button, and double click the base file. The base and all of its cycles will be loaded automatically.
Switch to the God dialog by selecting the God button on the bottom menu bar.
If a shadow isn't desired, unselect the Shadow button. Only oval and generic shadows are supported in DR2. For an oval shadow, set the radius with the slider. Ovals are best for animating units. Generic shadows can be used on units that animate very little
Set the MRM Factor higher than 1 to increase mrming sensitivity, lower than 1 to decrease it.
Set the MRM MinVerts to some reasonable lower limit.
Set the MRM MaxVerts, usually the full max.
Check the model's mrming behavior by dragging the slider in ViewBrush.
One at a time, select each animation cycle in the list box and setup the following animation parameters:
Set each cycle's type (Loop, 1Way, 2Way), Anim speed, and if its a move cycle, Move speed.
Move speed is set by matching the model's animation to the movement of the terrain, eliminating 'skating'.
The slider directly below the list box will scale the Anim and Move values together so that it's easier to make the match.
If the model has texture animation the TexAnim button will be un-grayed. Select it and drag slider to set the texture anim speed.
Select the QuickLight button if non-shaded optimized lighting is desired.
Select/Unselect the Chunkify button depending if auto chunks should be generated.
Type in the desired name for the god file in the FileName edit box.
Click the Save button.

Tweaking GOD Files

If no xsi files have changed and there are no new ones, a god file can be loaded, its parameters changed, then re-saved over itself.
If there are new xsi files the god file needs to be reconstructed using the above steps.
Mrm behavior can be tweaked by selecting vertices that will be removed last.
Click on the Brush button (initially ViewBrush) until it reads VertBrush.
Click and drag to select multiple verts or click in the vert boxes to select/deselect.
Select the Append button (in the VertBrush bar) to keep previously selected verts from becoming unselected.
When the desired verts are selected, click the MrmGen button to recalculate the mrm data.
Check the new mrming behavior by dragging the slider in the VertBrush bar.
I'm not sure how people converted the other DR2 units with their anims intact without having the original .xsi files though. mmm
Keep calm and get angry
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

https://www.mediafire.com/?3yh7pnl627dzqjb

Assets. Include "obj_jda_guardian.cfg" using types.cfg or types_mission.cfg.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

Wow, you even included the weapons and sounds? Nice, thank you so much!
Keep calm and get angry
Kennedy
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Mexico

Post by Kennedy »

=D>
Keep Calm... Im Here!
http://tru3---clan.webs.com/
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

I might try and port the other Dark Reign infantry models over but I'm not sure whether or not that'll be possible since the only one with .xsi files is the Guardian
Keep calm and get angry
Kennedy
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Mexico

Post by Kennedy »

Nullen i will Message you for a project mmm
Keep Calm... Im Here!
http://tru3---clan.webs.com/