*WIP* Tools for creating Army Men RTS Mods

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
TommyCD1
United States of America

*WIP* Tools for creating Army Men RTS Mods

Post by TommyCD1 »

*Work in progress which will be subject to change later*

This is a master post hopefully containing all the necessary tools needed to create and compile maps and mods for Army Men RTS.

Studio Editor
Download link

This is an injector written by @DavidTheTech. It will allow you to access the official studio mode used by the actual devs of the game. While it is not 100% functional, it runs on the Army Men RTS engine, rather than DR2, and so it is extremely versatile and it will perform all of your needs for now. A video playlist of how to use this studio can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrNND6 ... lahaW4yVXt

DrPack
Download link

This is a windows application created solely for unpacking and compiling .zwp files. In order to install DrPack, extract the folder somewhere safe, and then double click on 'install_dp.exe'.
To compile a folder:
  • Right click said folder, and from the drop menu click 'Pack Folder with DrPack'.
  • This will create a .zwp file of your folder.
  • Finally, you want to change the file extension of your compiled map from '.zwp' into '.x'.
  • This will allow Army Men RTS to read its contents.
To unpack a .x file:
  • Change its extension back into '.zwp'.
  • Then, double click on a .zwp file to have DrPack automatically extract it into a subfolder of the same name.
Be advised that DrPack will not prompt you on overwrite and will replace any already existing files. Also know that you must use any program that supports opening and saving files, such as Notepad++ or a hex editor, in order to change your file formats. Using windows explorer and changing the extension manually will corrupt your files.

Text Editor

You may use any text editor of your liking, even Windows' Notepad. However, you must be sure to only edit .cfg files with your text editor. Modifying any other files will cause them to become corrupted and unable to be restored. I would recommend using Notepad++, as it can not only edit .cfg files, but it can also reliably change .zwp file extensions as well as modify .god models without corrupting them.

Please feel free to leave any questions, comments, or concerns.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

I need more detailed instructions

Post by Secg »

Greetings TommyCD1,

First, I's like to thank you for your amazing work at including Special Operations into AMRTS PC version. I also learnt a lot from you on how to make new armors, how to display more units' firepower's effectiveness, & especially how to make more squads.

I have two copies of AMRTS right now. One fully unpacked into sundry .cfg files (heavily modded) thanks to DRPack, & another Intact copy to be used as Back-Up. I've also downloaded your DR2 Studio & follow the instructions already given in your YouTube videos. Even though I've successfully opened the Studio, & cannot find any AMRTS maps with the available ones.

Can you make a video on how to access AMRTS maps with DR Studio? O

Many Thanks before hands!
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Tools for creating Army Men RTS Mods

Post by TommyCD1 »

Army Men RTS maps cannot be loaded into the studio. There are no default amrts maps available in the studio either.

If you wish to make a new map using an environment found in Army Men RTS, then they can be found in the drop down menu where you edit the map's size.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Re:

Post by Secg »

What a pity then :( but thanks for the reply anyways. ;)

So far I've only successfully included objects into existing Story & GB maps by using codes & estimating within my own head where that unit would stand.

However, since :S: SO missions are ripped straight from PS2 version, their objects.cfg files look very messy :o instead of orderly texts standing for units & buildings X-( .

Been enjoyingly playing SO so far. Much harder than GBs >:) .
ImageImage
NoobatModding
Noob
Noob
Germany

I need help with adding cheats into multiplayer, can someone help.

Post by NoobatModding »

Could I get some help with multiplayer mode changes.

Let me Explain What it is:

1) How can I edit Army Men R.T.S. Files so that my friends and I can use different clients in multiplayer.

Example: I have a zero plastic cost mod, and my friend has a instant build/recruit mod.

Question

1) While In-game playing multiplayer with my pals, a message saying: "The host has detected that your game has diverged from the other players, unfortunately you will be unable to continue in the game", or something along those lines.

2) What file do I need to Remove/Edit, or what code lines in the file do I need to remove/edit?

3) Where are located in the Army Men RTS directory/folder?

The changes won't allow cheating for online purposes, just as a means for those that have the "file edit" to mod and play together in multiplayer (each having different mods).
Flarerider
Noob
Noob
United States of America

Post by Flarerider »

I've tried the drpacker application and I've tried both compiling and decompiling the base.x file and both result with nothing happening even if the base.x or base folder are not empty so idk what the problem is. I am running windows 10 if that helps. I want to create my own mods with this sdk but I cant take the next step with out this help in any way is appreciated.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

NoobatModding wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:00 am Could I get some help with multiplayer mode changes.

Let me Explain What it is:

1) How can I edit Army Men R.T.S. Files so that my friends and I can use different clients in multiplayer.

Example: I have a zero plastic cost mod, and my friend has a instant build/recruit mod.

Question

1) While In-game playing multiplayer with my pals, a message saying: "The host has detected that your game has diverged from the other players, unfortunately you will be unable to continue in the game", or something along those lines.

2) What file do I need to Remove/Edit, or what code lines in the file do I need to remove/edit?

3) Where are located in the Army Men RTS directory/folder?

The changes won't allow cheating for online purposes, just as a means for those that have the "file edit" to mod and play together in multiplayer (each having different mods).
Not only is this coding located in the engine which I have not idea how to mod, I would refuse to do a mod like this anyway as this would lead too easily to cheating online
Flarerider wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 pm I've tried the drpacker application and I've tried both compiling and decompiling the base.x file and both result with nothing happening even if the base.x or base folder are not empty so idk what the problem is. I am running windows 10 if that helps. I want to create my own mods with this sdk but I cant take the next step with out this help in any way is appreciated.
  • Make sure you have installed DrPack by running install_dp.exe
  • Make sure that you have installed DrPack to the same drive that your files for extraction are located.
  • Make sure the files you are trying to extract end in the extention '.zwp'
  • DrPack cannot be installed to multiple drives, nor can it work on files that are not located on the same drive (remember I am talking about C:\ or D:\ when referring to drives)
"Can we order a pizza?"
CaptainTotes
Noob
Noob
United States of America

Post by CaptainTotes »

Flarerider wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 pm I've tried the drpacker application and I've tried both compiling and decompiling the base.x file and both result with nothing happening even if the base.x or base folder are not empty so idk what the problem is. I am running windows 10 if that helps. I want to create my own mods with this sdk but I cant take the next step with out this help in any way is appreciated.
Hey Flarerider, I had the same problem you had by simply renaming the file. However that didn't work so i opened the file in notepad++ and saved it as .zwp and then opened it! ;)
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: *WIP* Tools for creating Army Men RTS Mods

Post by TommyCD1 »

Yes, this is true and I've added this information to the main post too.

Changing a file extension using just windows explorer will corrupt it. You must open the .x file in something such as Notepad++ or a hex editor and save it as a .zwp file (or vice versa) in order to change your file extensions. But don't use windows notepad for this, as it also corrupts files.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{Colonel}Jo-Eg
Sniper
Sniper
Egypt

Re: *WIP* Tools for creating Army Men RTS Mods

Post by {Colonel}Jo-Eg »

Hi tommy!,
You don't put the 3ds max 8 link and dr2 machine,
and you don't put xsi exporter.

If you put it here it will be nice to who want learn map making.
Just Dream.......... :zZz:

ـــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ
From its claws a lion is recognized.
ـــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــــ