Better Multiplayer AI - Seeking

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
Absunine
Noob
Noob
United States of America

Post by Absunine »

I've been playing this game for quite some time, and have some coding experience, but that aside. I'm curious if anyones made a good general usage AI for multiplayer. Or should I learn how to go about this stuff on my own~? [Probably, better for the long run.]

If a good one exists, it could be fun to use. Still could be fun to learn to make stuff for this game too. I use to play it back on GC so many years back.
First rule of the world; People are stupid.
The sooner this is realized, the easier life will be~

Discord: Shiro#1486
Easiest place to reach me, should you need it.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Better Multiplayer AI - Seeking

Post by TommyCD1 »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1802#p10452
These are AI's I have created over the years. While some of them were written by others, I am also responsible for modifying them to be able to run simultaneously. They have many different personalities, many of which are more gimmicky than professional, but I believe a few can suffice.

If you want a truly smart AI, I'm afraid there isn't really anything like that so far. The best we have to offer at the moment are computer players that build their bases for efficiently and are more aggressive with their units, as the options and commands we have to work with are rather limited when writing new AI's.

Of the AI's we do have, I would recommend maybe tens.x, aggressive.x, zergush.x, or tanks.x
You can pick and choose which AI's you wish to play with by adding or removing the .x files from your persona folder, located in the mods folder of the main directory. For maxrush games, I would recommend aggressive.x, Hardfix.x, or Tanks2.x
Also for maxrush games, you can check out some AI's specifically designed for such games here:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1978#p11350
With the exception of joke.x, they all are made to build as many buildings as possible and them crank out armies of one or two type(s) of units. They also only function in a maxrush setting.

If none of these AI's suit your needs, you can leave me a recommendation or suggestion of how an AI should behave here; just keep in mind the limitations of a computer controlled player, which I can detail if you like.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2367
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Absunine
Noob
Noob
United States of America

Post by Absunine »

I will say I've played with some of the AI's you made/compiled last night, And while I can't identify which ones I faced I would believe one of them was Aggressive and one was Defensive, I'm not sure about the one I had on my team since It took a fairly long period to actually go attack, but when it did it finished off an AI on it's own for the most part.

At that time I was running Aggressive, Hardfix and Defensive along with the Default. I tend to play on both Vanilla maps and some of the custom maps.

It's a bit off topic, but does a Discord server or something exist for this community? I ask simply because It's an easier method to reach me, As I'm always online there.
I do not know the AI's limitations, but It would be fun to know. Especially if i want to learn how to make these things and contribute.

Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

"are more aggressive with their units"

I still notice that AMRTS AI is strangely cautiously picky about which "UndefendedCluster" to attack. I can discourage it from attacking any of my roaming Resource Depot with only one puny Guardtower, which it can easily destroy with its offensive Squad. I even try to raise the Danger Ratio in mod.cfg & personality_default_scripts.cfg, to no effect.

How does aggressive.zwp AI in Dark Reign 2 behave? I have no trainer to play Dark Reign 2 MP so I cannot test if the aggressive.zwp AI will attack even a heavily defended base.
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Absunine wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 amIt's a bit off topic, but does a Discord server or something exist for this community? I ask simply because It's an easier method to reach me, As I'm always online there.
I do not know the AI's limitations, but It would be fun to know. Especially if i want to learn how to make these things and contribute.
Two discord servers actually.
  1. https://discord.gg/qWPutFS This one was created by ToxicPirahna and is more for competitive like players to get together for some games, although it is rather slow for now.
  2. https://discord.gg/X6PvM8G This one is more for friendly games and also for those interested in modding the game and the likes.
Secg wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:05 amHow does aggressive.zwp AI in Dark Reign 2 behave? I have no trainer to play Dark Reign 2 MP so I cannot test if the aggressive.zwp AI will attack even a heavily defended base.
As far as I can tell, there's essentially no difference in the aggressive and defensive AI's in both amrts and dr2, with the only exception being that aggressive seems to very slightly prefer creating units over towers first.

https://tinyurl.com/yaqmktue This is a campaign unlock trainer that came with my downloaded copy of Dark Reign 2. Put it in the same directory as dr2.exe and launch it, although I'm not positive it will work, you may like to give it a try. Also, can't you launch the Instant Action option in DR2 without a cd anyway?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Absunine
Noob
Noob
United States of America

Post by Absunine »

Thank you for those links, I'll probably join into both even if I'm not too too interested in being competitive. It could be nice to get to talk to someone whose gotten experience in this. You know, Learning how to do things and how the game handles.
How active there are you? In case I wanted to strike up a chat when possible.

Right now I'm looking more into mods to balance out damage and make units better. Sadly the Realism v1.3 mod is gone.

Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Dark Reign Instant Action & Realism Mod.

Post by Secg »

To TommyCD1:

Thanks for the link. My old computer is broken & I cannot play Dark Reign 2 at all. With this I can again. I vaguely remember being able to play Instant Action, however, the AI hardly attacks me at all.

To Absunine:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mod Realism 1.3 :? . Still, good to know that there are other players who think like me that AMRTS needs official balance changes (Pandemic Studio is dead now :COFE: )
ImageImage