Re-Naming a unit.

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
Arisen
Mortar Man
Mortar Man
American Samoa

Re-Naming a unit.

Post by Arisen »

So I'm trying to test out how to rename a unit., and I can't seem to find the file where there name is defined. I take it it requires a lot of editing the CFG files?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Re-Naming a unit.

Post by TommyCD1 »

It requires editing the english.dat file located in the library\language folder. As far as I can tell no one has manage to edit this data yet, and even if you could then it would most likely cause desyncs online. If it didn't, you'd still run into the problem of everyone trying to modify one file, meaning your names could get overwritten by someone else's if they chose to use this. Not only that, but it also means anyone who isn't playing in English, like French or Spanish for example, then they would either not get your unit's names, or their entire game would change languages.

The best we can do now is simply give the unit it's desired name in the config file like so:

Code: Select all

// UNIT
CreateObjectType("Super Sarge", "Unit")
{
  GameObj()
  {
It comes with the drawback of constructors appending 'game.types' to the beginning of it, but at least it works elsewise.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

I managed to rename units & even other texts like objectives & medal requirements with a Notepad++'s Hex Editor Plug-In
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Alright, but like I've said it's one file that as far as we know can't be augmented like the .x files can be, so modifying it would create issues, such as two map makers running into conflicts from trying to edit the same file for different reasons.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974