interesting developments in the chronicles of the Blue Spy unit...

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
Arisen
Mortar Man
Mortar Man
American Samoa

interesting developments in the chronicles of the Blue Spy unit...

Post by Arisen »

well, I have done it...almost. I've gotten 99.9% of my unit into the game. It is not simply a re-named grunt. It is its own full, complete unit. complete with it's own Name, weapon definition, Stats ect ect ect.

Blue Spy;
The blue spy is a shadow on the battlefield. Swift, stealthy, and with the eyes of an eagle. The blue spy is a deadly hybrid of a hardened battlefield sniper and a scout. Armed with a high-powered, long range rifle it can pick off enemies at a longer range than any other unit. Combined with impressive pain resistance training and conditioning for running long distances. The blue spy is the ultimate in quick, efficient killers.

Hp; 400 (Roughly twice of a grunt)
Damage; 90 (roughly 11-12x of a grunts power, offset by the fact that they fire at about the speed of a bazookaman)
Speed; 65 (about + 40% faster than a grunt)
Sight/shot range; 91/90 (about +60% longer range than a grunt)

Effectiveness;
100% infantry
40% vehicle
65% Structure
60% Air

Cost; 315 (about 6x cost of a grunt, takes 3.6x longer to build) (36 seconds)

There are still some bugs though :X, the shadow of the unit is way too big. The constructer still spells out the whole filename, and most importantly, the texture does not work on it, strangely enough. I tried copying the grunt .god file and renaming it to the proper name, along with renaming the texture file of the bluespy to its proper name, but nothing I can seem to do can get the texture file to take. :Owned:

heres some pics of it in action;

Blue spies scouting some enemies...

Blue spy helping out a grunt fire on a resource depot. showcasing his awesome range.

Pic of the blue spy in the barracks (along with the aforementioned glitch)

Another pic showcasing the blue spys awesome sight/range, shooting at a pillbox.

Sarge helping out.

Full gallery is here. (blurry pic is a closeup of his sightrange on the map)

http://imgbox.com/g/DjdzN3op6v

what say you gents? I stayed up many late nights figuring this one out..and had to reinstall a few times due to game-breaking edits to the code the first couple tries. mmm

aah well, off to bed for now. :zZz:
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: interesting developments in the chronicles of the Blue Spy unit...

Post by TommyCD1 »

If it is able to shoot everything and costs so little, it appears to be super overpowered as is... I would suggest lowering their firing rate drastically, or making them only able to shoot infantry or the such?

The shadow issue is because for literally every unit in the game a shadow must be defined, except for the grunt. So if you copied code from the grunt, then he most likely doesn't get code for shadows. lol
You can fix it by having this somewhere in the unit's .cfg:

Code: Select all

GenericFX()
    {
      Add("MapObj::Death", "death.infantry");
      Add("MapObj::AddToMap", "damage.grunt");
      Add("Restore::Target::Process", "restore-small");
      Add("MapObj::AddToMap2", "restore-small-puff");
      // Add("UnitObj::Engine", "water.ripple");
    }
    ShadowFile("army_grunt-shadow.tga");
    RotateShadow(0); // default is 1
  • ShadowFile() - Which image texture to use for a unit's shadow.
  • RotateShadow(1); - Whether or not the shadow rotates with the unit's turning. Should be left to 0.
As for the texture issues, could you elaborate a bit more? I'm not sure what your intention is for the unit.

Also just want to clarify that the constructor appending 'games.types' to the beginning isn't actually a glitch, but instead intentional. It's place at the beginning to that a unit's name can be written in the appropriate language. The game prints text by internally marking it with a #. This way they can simply create placeholder names for all the units and text without having to edit their code each time they release the game in a different language. For example, the pointer for '#game.types.army.unit.machinegunner' prints out 'Machine Gunner' in English, while the same pointer will result in 'Mitrailleur' in French.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Arisen
Mortar Man
Mortar Man
American Samoa

Post by Arisen »

working on rebalancing it rn, it was indeed op =))

I want to make little video updates to show but I cant get OBS to capture AMRTS... @_@

uhh, i'll take some screenshots. It's a bit hard to explain.

http://imgbox.com/g/2oCzn9XNQx (had to link to the gallery the images keep getting chopped up... gotta click on them to see the whole thing. *shrug*

so, what I assumed was. If I copied/renamed the .god file of the Grunt unit to "bluespy" and also copied/renamed it's Tga file to bluespy

the corresponding .god file, named bluespy would automatically apply the .TGA texture file named bluespy to it.

but this did not happen... the .god file still seems to be reading off of the grunt.TGA file, I'm going to test this by recoloring the grunts TGA texture file.

yep, it is not only reading off of the grunt tga file, but it would appear that the grunt Tga file controls the team colors for all of the other infantry units as well,seeing as when I edited it everyone down to the snipers color changed.

Interestingly, this does not appear to affect Bravo Company.

so what I can only assume, is when I copied the grunt.god file and renamed it to the "bluespy" god file. the internal UV coordinates of the grunt.god file, even when renamed. Are still calling to the grunt.tga file, or it's simply sticking with the team colors... this ones a real headscratcher for me :COFE:
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

You can use notepad++ or a Hex Editor to change the texture the grunt.god file points to, just open it up and hit CTRL+F then find the .tga and rename it. The texture needs to have the same number of characters as the grunt.tga, If the name's too long or short it could cause problems
Keep calm and get angry
Arisen
Mortar Man
Mortar Man
American Samoa

Post by Arisen »

Nullen wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:07 am You can use notepad++ or a Hex Editor to change the texture the grunt.god file points to, just open it up and hit CTRL+F then find the .tga and rename it. The texture needs to have the same number of characters as the grunt.tga, If the name's too long or short it could cause problems

:PB hmm do you mean opening the god file in notepad++ or the tga file? I'm not sure which file to look for..
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

Arisen wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:23 pm
Nullen wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:07 am You can use notepad++ or a Hex Editor to change the texture the grunt.god file points to, just open it up and hit CTRL+F then find the .tga and rename it. The texture needs to have the same number of characters as the grunt.tga, If the name's too long or short it could cause problems

:PB hmm do you mean opening the god file in notepad++ or the tga file? I'm not sure which file to look for..
You gotta open the .god file in notepad++. Once it's open, do a full search in notepad++ for .tga, then rename the .tga referenced in the god file to your new one
Keep calm and get angry