Flag Capturer unit

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Flag Capturer unit

Post by j3rry »

I was trying to modify Army Men RTS. When I looked into 'english.dat' I found 'Flag Capturer' mention for unit. :PB It is interesting that in Russian version it is named as 'Spy'

Is that unit still exists in game? (Maybe used in Great Battles or Special Operations.) Or is that some kind of beta unit, which was supposed to capture enemy flags in multiplayer missions? (Probably there was CTF gamemode in beta version.)

I need this info because I need to add unit text via english.dat, so it would be good to use this unused fragment of code.
Last edited by j3rry on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Flag Capturer unit

Post by TommyCD1 »

Most likely leftover from earlier development. Whatever it was it no longer exists within the final game. Or if it does, it's encrypted in the game's compiled engine data and we have no practical way of figuring out how to write for it.

Also I may recommend against modding english.dat if you are intending to add custom units. It can very easily lead to conflicting files since there's no way to have it override on a per map basis like .cfg files for example.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Re: Flag Capturer unit

Post by j3rry »

Well, thanks.

By the way I know about config editing, but I have already made unit for all maps via base.x, so it works on all maps correctly, if players also have got the file.