ABANDONED: Sandy Lake

These maps all have broken links. If you have these maps, upload them and we can update the links.
Forum rules
These topics need DIRECT links to the maps. You can post your website if you want but it must also include a direct link. If the maps are now included in a map pack, then post the link to the topic where the map pack is so that it leads to a valid link.

Rate the map

Shitty
No votes
Horrible
No votes
Tolerable
75%
Alright
25%
Awesome
No votes

Total votes: 4

j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

ABANDONED: Sandy Lake

Post by j3rry »

This map is no longer supported. The thread kept for historical interest.

I am working on RTS expansion now, which brings new maps, units, features, rules, etc. to the game. :-B
As demo-version of my project I present new map with water action, based on DR2 map. So I will be grateful if you would rate this. No mods required to play the map, just install the map file in 'Army Men RTS/missions/mp'.

Known bugs:
  • Boat's blob will not appear anymore if it was destroyed in the water once. I do not know yet how to fix this issue.
  • AI can not produce boats. Should write new AI personality for that. Maybe I will code it soon.
  • Sometimes boats can overcome the route by the land or will try to follow an enemy on the land. I guess it is so because of poor game intelligence, so you should not forget to control your boats on the map.
Last edited by j3rry on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Re: New map: Sandy Lake

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

Damn that's pretty good. Did you make that boat yourself? I've been working on new stuff myself.
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Sniper wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm Damn that's pretty good. Did you make that boat yourself? I've been working on new stuff myself.
The boat model is based on Predator (police boat) from Grand Theft Auto.
I have edited it according to RTS style and converted to the game.
Maybe I will make a new one from scratch if my modelling skills will become good.
Last edited by j3rry on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Cool map. My first impression is that there is a severe lack of plastic laying around. I found myself scraping anything I could within the first 10 minutes of the map, and the fact that blobs do not get created if above water, the map suffers greatly from resource restrictions. I didn't quite get to examine the boat to it's fullest extent, as that would mostly require another player. I also would have suggested maybe making the water more shallow near the shore, or increasing the amount of land, the pathways as they are now are very narrow and get crowed very easily.

Also, if you are planning on creating an AI that utilizes the boats, just be aware that it will only function on maps that contain the unit, running it on a map that doesn't have the boat will crash the game. :COFE:
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

TommyCD1 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:36 am Cool map. My first impression is that there is a severe lack of plastic laying around. I found myself scraping anything I could within the first 10 minutes of the map, and the fact that blobs do not get created if above water, the map suffers greatly from resource restrictions. I didn't quite get to examine the boat to it's fullest extent, as that would mostly require another player. I also would have suggested maybe making the water more shallow near the shore, or increasing the amount of land, the pathways as they are now are very narrow and get crowed very easily.

Also, if you are planning on creating an AI that utilizes the boats, just be aware that it will only function on maps that contain the unit, running it on a map that doesn't have the boat will crash the game. :COFE:
Thanks for the opinion.

Do you know how to link map AI with specific personality? I have tried to use 'Personality' option at game.cfg, but it does not work.
Last edited by j3rry on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

You cannot. If a team is playable in multiplayer, then it will always randomly select one of the personalities that are in the persona folder. The personality config in the game.cfg will only work if the team is not allowed to be played by players.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

TommyCD1 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:00 am You cannot. If a team is playable in multiplayer, then it will always randomly select one of the personalities that are in the persona folder. The personality config in the game.cfg will only work if the team is not allowed to be played by players.
Too bad.

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Last edited by j3rry on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

I have updated the map.
  • Fixed blob bug, but boats still can not drop blobs. (But in the most cases that is justified because underwater blobs would be useless as we do not have water-trucks.)
  • Added more resources to the map: Watches, Chewtoys, Dogbones.
Last edited by j3rry on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nullen
Tank
Tank
Jamaica

Post by Nullen »

Very cool that you got a unit with a custom model in! How'd you do it? I've attempted to get custom models ingame myself and so far every attempt has fallen flat
Keep calm and get angry
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Nullen.

Here is the tutorial (Art Creation Guidelines -> General Modeling), but it takes a time to practice. You must have 3Ds Max 8, *.XSI exporter plugin for it and meshviewer. Also exported model must not be too high poly. Model texture must be in *.tga with index channel (which can be set in Adobe Photoshop). If you will need more help we can continue our dialog in pm.