how to add new units/buildings

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
AntonSlavic
Grunt
Grunt
Greece

how to add new units/buildings

Post by AntonSlavic »

okey guys, how do i add new buildings to the construction menu?
Example, wanting to add the tan tents from the final missions ending.

Found its .god file, tga and config in the attic world. Might be making a mistake but i used the same code done to the green tent from mission 1 wich made it constructable, the attic tent apears in the construction menu, but when i click on it and want to place it there is nothing, like it doesnt exist. If i swap the god file with the green tent while i leave everything else as it is it can be placed (but its the green one)

obj in question is "obj_prop_attictent2.cfg", do note i know that there are 2 tents in that one cfg file, have separated them and coded(copy paste from the constructable tents but with twerks) and the issue remains the same.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: how to add new units/buildings

Post by TommyCD1 »

The tan tents specifically cannot be built, because they do not "zip". This is an issue with the .god file itself. I would suggest using the green tents instead, and then simply retexturing them to be tan.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
AntonSlavic
Grunt
Grunt
Greece

Post by AntonSlavic »

well it was allready done, green tents and flag are in game, retexturing does few interesting things, there is no guarantee when the tents will be green and when tan.

Is it possible to duplicate the god and tga files and retexture the tga so that both green and tan can be build in the same time?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Yes. Just create a copy of the .god file, name it something else, like 'tent2' and then simply open the .god with a HEX editor, or even something like Notepad++. and then rename the internal .tga filenames to something else. The best way to do it is by using the same number of characters. For example

Code: Select all

obj_army_tent.tga
Has the same number of characters as

Code: Select all

obj_copy_tent.tga
The only thing you have to worry about is how the texture is UV Mapped. Which, lucky in this case, all four tents are identical, so both the attic and yard textures can be used interchangeably.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
AntonSlavic
Grunt
Grunt
Greece

Post by AntonSlavic »

well downloaded the HeX editor, same with Notaped++, its a mess of simbols. Cant decifer whats what. saw army_tent, changed that and got a fatal error when loading the game.

well at least i know what to do, thx for the guidence
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

With Notepad++, you can use CTRL + F to open the search function, then do a "Normal" search for the text '.tga' and this will take you to the filename of the texture the .god file uses. Just remember, the character count (number of letters) MUST be the same, or else the game will crash as mentioned.
Attachments
find.png
"Can we order a pizza?"