How to modify the .GOD file

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
Cross VE
Bazooka Man
Bazooka Man
Cuba

How to modify the .GOD file

Post by Cross VE »

I need someone to tell me how to modify the GOD file of any unit to change the .TGA texture.
My intention is to change the .TGA texture of a .GOD file to create the same file but with multiple textures. But I do not know how.

:PB
;) I really like this game for online gameplays and editions.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: How to modify the .GOD file

Post by TommyCD1 »

You can use a HEX editor or a safe text editor that won't corrupt your file such as Notepad++. Then you can open the god file and find the texture you want to edit in plain text. Just do a search for the text '.TGA' in the file and you'll find them. Although the most you can do with this is to change the filename of the texture the model looks for, say if you wanted to create a unique grunt model different from generic grunts. If you're hoping to add new or remove textures, or apply different texture sheets to a model, you're out of luck. Such a change would require the model mesh itself, which again there is currently no known way to decompile a finished .GOD file.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Cross VE
Bazooka Man
Bazooka Man
Cuba

Post by Cross VE »

I already tried to change the texture with notepad, but I get an error saying that it exceeds the format limit, which doesn't make sense because I only changed a few letters. It is a pity that a .GOD file cannot be modified in its entirety.
;) I really like this game for online gameplays and editions.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Yes. If you are manually editing the texture name using an editor, the best way to do so is to keep the number of characters the exact same as the original texture. Otherwise you'll have to change the file header too which you'll 100% need a HEX editor to do anyway.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974