Help changing ui textures

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Help changing ui textures

Post by FlamingC64 »

I was wondering if you guys knew were the graphics for the build selection bar (not the icons) and the boarder around the map are located?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Help changing ui textures

Post by TommyCD1 »

The actual texture file for them is in the ingame.x archive in the files if_interface_game.tga and if_interfacealpha_game.tga.

But keep in mind the way this game draws the interface isn't as straight forward as "take this texture file and apply it". Instead the texture file contains every possible "part" that an interface element could want to draw with, and then it defines exactly which portion of the file it wants for what purpose.

So for example, in the if_interfacealpha_game.tga file IIRC, in the bottom left there is a transparent rounded square with four corner rivets. Since an element can be drawn in any arbitrary size, instead of the game asking for, say, this entire 64x64 chunk of the texture, instead it defines each individual element. So the top left corner would be at (XX, XX) offset of the image, and XX by XX pixels in size. And it would do so again for the three following corners, and also for the four edges between those corners.

It is rather hard to explain without a reference for me to use, so I hope this is sufficient an explanation?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Re: Help changing ui textures

Post by FlamingC64 »

This was very helpful. Thank you so much for the explanation.