A Call to Arms - Online Mutiplayer

Going to be gone for sometime? Post your updates here.
SGT4LeafTayback
Noob
Noob
Virgin Islands (USA)

A Call to Arms - Online Mutiplayer

Post by SGT4LeafTayback »

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Arms:

All great things fade over time, including this awesome game. Enthusiasts like ourselves keep the game fresh with mods and AI, but the sustainability of a game relies on online play and accessibility.

This game will only survive with online multiplayer. We need to rebuild the online multiplayer functionality of this game. Computer players get boring; humans are more fun and complex enemies. Online play will attract more players.

I know there were some multiplayer solutions in the past (e.g., Game Ranger), but these workarounds are no longer active or compatible with modern machines. I am no networking expert, but there must be a way to convert Army Men’s local multiplayer to global multiplayer.

Does anyone know how we can begin to reintroduce global multiplayer into Army Men? If you’re interested in helping make this happen, sound off here, and I’ll start a Discord group or similar.

Over and out,

SGT Four Leaf Tapback
plastro23
Noob
Noob
Brazil

Re: A Call to Arms - Online Mutiplayer

Post by plastro23 »

We would need something similar to what the Empire Earth community did with NeoEE, they remastered the whole game with now better resolution, W10/W11 compatibility, graphical fixes related to newer hardware not being compatible, modern aspect ratios, self-hosted lobbies, working server browser and other quality of life fixes that brings the game to modern standards.

The problem is that this is easier said than done and I'm in no way a programmer so I don't think I can do much myself other than share it to my friends and groups in the case that a project like this ever gets started.

I feel like those who can mod the game have already left this forum but I'm just speculating on that since I'm not sure how active this forum is. Many of the posts are old.

I'm not new to the game, I played it for the first time in late 2000s but I'm not good enough to play multiplayer, I'd get stomped easily and I'm pretty sure other people would share this sentiment which is also what kills the game, I wonder if there are any starter multiplayer players here just like me but seems like this place is for experienced players and yes I just found out about this forum.

A pleasure to meet you too, I wish I could do more myself but I can only give you that example. :COFE: