AI mod suggestions.

Mods that are being worked on. You can post your teaser here.
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Re: New personalities for the AI.

Post by DreadedGhoul575 »

:ROCK: This is very cool, could you make more? :SWEET:
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

I'd love to make more, but I really don't know what to make. I mean I could just add little variations to add diversity, but no one wants that. Do you think you have any ideas, or strategies that the computer could use?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Is it possible to make the computer to control his Sarge? Or just make the computer have strategies like flanking with choppers, make the computer able to give you units or perhaps chat e.g I'm retreating my units, I need assistance (if possible, however it may be difficult) or maybe tell me how you make them or is it a complicated tool?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Unfortunately no. The computer play will not use his Sarge because Sarge can't be built from anything. Even though he starts with one. The game is very picky. :/ Also the computer isn't able to give units or even receive things because the game does not view them as a real human player. It's all information that is stored inside the engine or in the .exe file itself, which is impossible to edit.

However, I might actually be able to do that chopper thing, although I doubt I'll have any luck, since I'm not actually as skilled at this stuff as one might think, but I'll definitely try!

You can make some yourself. It's not that complicated, you'll just have to learn how it works and you'll need a few tools.

:blah:
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Oh right ok, well thanks for the info m8 and do you know the required tools? And don't bother with the chopper thing, if you want to make more though, just make them build snipers only, make a booby trap computer which runs away and tries to make your units follow and lead one into a trap of lots of tanks >:) or a computer using a minelayer?
But yeah, just some suggestions :SWEET:
Good luck,
P.S what are these tools you need?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Well the tools you need are all in this playlist by Methuselah96 and the videos also do a rather good job explaining how to use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6PPoP6w ... 32AD8664C1

You'll need a (used) copy of Dark Reign 2:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62842531/Dark%20Reign%202.rar

Studio for said Dark Reign 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?q7i48aqe73dpxm9/

DrPack for opening and zipping your files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oma727g9rb2lzhy

And a text editor to do all the coding that the studio doesn't.
I use Notepad++ because it's very easy to use and it can save your .zwp files as .x files for Army Men.

http://www.notepad-plus-plus.org/download

This is all the stuff you need. Although this is all for maps, I find that DrPack will work on all of the .zwp and .x files. Just open the file you want to edit with Notepad, and save it as a .zwp file. Then unpack it with DrPack and you can edit the goods inside. If you have trouble let me know.
"Can we order a pizza?"
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Um, what do I need for creating ai? :?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

To create or edit the AI you need to go to where your Army Men RTS game is installed and enter the folder mods, then the folder persona. In that folder there should be two files called default.x and gb.x You should open the one you want to edit with something like Notepad++ and save it as a .zwp file. Then once you have installed DrPack, you should be able to unpack the folder and inside it will be five .cfg files named:

mod.cfg
personality_default_bases.cfg
personality_default_orderers_buildings.cfg
personality_default_orderers_units.cfg
personality_default_placement.cfg
personality_default_scripts.cfg'.

You can open them up with a text editor and make changes to them. There are comments in the files to help you along your way too.

Say, you do you have a GameRanger account or a Steam account or something else so we can chat that way instead of going back and forth like this?
"Can we order a pizza?"
DreadedGhoul575
Sniper L2
Sniper L2
Great Britain

Yeah, I have Steam, I forgot my gameranger account login lol, been a long time. I'm =Slither=[Knight] on Steam.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Been a long time since I've had to use steam lol I can't figure out how to message you. =)) My steam is the same it's TommyCD1. See if you can find me?
"Can we order a pizza?"