The Road Less Traveled

Custom Multiplayer Maps
Forum rules
Required: All new map posts must include a direct link to the map, either screenshots or a video, and a description.
Not Required but Recommended: It would be a good idea to include a voting poll in your post so that others can rate your map.

How would you rate this map?

1/5 = No one should ever play this map!
No votes
2/5 = I would not want to play this map.
No votes
3/5 = I would play this map only if asked...
25%
4/5 = I enjoy this map and recommend it.
50%
5/5 = This is my preferred way to play!
25%

Total votes: 4

TommyCD1
United States of America

The Road Less Traveled

Post by TommyCD1 »

A new map to be played that uses a night theme. :zZz:

Download link

Extract to your Army Men RTS root directory.

Two player map. Teams start in opposite corners of the map. There are two main paths that can be traveled to reach your opponent. The small bridge directly in between is short and quick, but without much room to move can be an excellent choke point. The second path to the south is full of the expected resources as well as plenty to ground to build upon. Overall, it's a good idea to build outside your starting area on this map.

Images
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Re: New map: The Road Less Traveled

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

Looks good. I'm working on a new project that I was going to incorporate a dark theme as well, looks like you already beat me to it lol.
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Nice map.

But I think daytime version must be uploaded also. This map looks more comfortable with sunlight.

And how about rainy version? Because I have noticed that rain option could be enabled on the map.
Last edited by j3rry on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Must say that nighttime mode suits great with snowy maps, like Altored Arctic.
Last edited by j3rry on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

I chose to make it a night map because it adds an additional layer of depth to the gameplay, for example it can be harder to make out units that your enemy is chucking at you, allowing more surprise attacks, especially on the grass where it's darkest. This lends to offense since they will generally be seen on the dark grass rather than the lighter dirt. The night theme also helps the map stand out from being just a standard one on one map, and gives a new look into the overly used attic world.

The reason the rain was removed in the final version is because much of the weather functionality was removed from the game's engine. Many of the parameters for calibrating the rain do not have any effect ingame, resulting in one single rain type with little variance. Normally, this wouldn't be too bad, but the default camera angle combined with the unchangeable yaw and pitch of the rain renders the droplets nearly invisible. So rather than trying to find some complex workaround to tweak the rain, I just simply did away with it and set it aside for some other day. Also the night theme was originally supposed to come with rain, rain is very boring during the day after all.

Finally, I understand that you seem to have some experience with editing these maps and are new to the forum, but I would greatly appreciate it if you did not create superfluous edits like this to my maps. It can not only greatly bloat game size for those involved, but if you were to distribute these edited copies, then players games would potentially become out of sync when playing the maps, if the maps were able to be launched at all.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Okay, I see your way of thinking. I will not distribute them.

By the way, are there will be any Livingroom or Basement worlds maps? I understand they are harder to create because of furniture objects, but it would be great to see them in Multiplayer.

Also I have some ideas for future maps. I do not oblige you to do this, just some ideas. I would like to see following maps from Army Men: Air Attack.
Spoiler

Last edited by j3rry on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

The only maps that are in those worlds would be multiplayer conversions from the single player campaign and from great battles. I myself have a bit too many other projects going on to start a new map in such a taxing world at the moment.

As for insects, there are plenty of maps here on the forum that use them, some quite well I may add.

Also, when embedding a YouTube video, you need only to include the video's ID in the [YouTube][/YouTube] tags, not the whole URL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74L_co2f08 - ID is colored yellow.
"Can we order a pizza?"
E]x[F-Sniper
Admin
Admin
Mexico

Post by E]x[F-Sniper »

Fixed the links