Needed help with sound-conversion

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Needed help with sound-conversion

Post by Secg »

Greetings, Extreme Fighters! Secg's here! Been a long while since I was here last. Well, away due to the workload in school & workplace.

I notice that some sound-files are missing from the PC version, like this file amb_ants.wav . However, even after I have extracted the sound-files from the PS2 ISO and put that in the appropriate folder Army Men RTS Heroic\base\sound\insect in the PC version & coded all the response events, like this:

Code: Select all

ResponseEvents()
    {
      Add("Attack")
      {
        Add("amb_ants.wav");
      }
      Add("Move")
      {
        Add("amb_ants.wav");
      }
      Add("Select")
      {
        Add("amb_ants.wav");
      }
    }
I still cannot hear any response from my worker ant whatever command I give her: attack, move, or select :( . Window Media Player also refuses to play amb_ants.wav & returned the 0xc00d36c4 error. Is this because the file amb_ants.wavhas been corrupted? :o

Yet TommyCD1 have successfully used MFAudio to make these three sounds ant_select.wav; roach_select.wav; roach_move.wav playable in PC (I can hear the Ants & CockRoaches' growls). When I used DrPack to unpack the antparty.zwp (converted from antparty.x with NotePad), I can use WMP to play all those files?

How did TommyCD1 succeed where I've failed? idk . Is it because TommyCD1 knows how to use MFAudio while I cannot?
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Needed help with sound-conversion

Post by TommyCD1 »

Yes, it's because I used MFAudio to extract them from the PS2 ISO. It's been a while since I've used it, so I couldn't help you with how to do it, but the reason you need MFAudio is because the PS2 .wav files are somehow encoded to only play on PS2. I'm not sure why this is, and why MFAudio undos it, but you can see this by opening a .cfg file from a PS2 mission and see how it appears to be corrupted, but still works... mmm
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

I've just downloaded MFAudio; I'll try extracting the sound-file using MFAudio directly from the PS2 ISO.

EDIT: One more question. Need I use MFAudio to extract the soundfile directly from the ISO? Or can I (1) use WinRar to extract the base.x file 1st, (2) then use DrPack to convert the base.x to base.zwp, (2) double-click to extract the files; & (3) then convert the PS2-exclusive .wav with MFAudio?
Last edited by Secg on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Yes actually, I believe you need to use MFAudio on the .wav file itself after its been extracted.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

MFAudio creator warns that MFAudio is not for newbies (who I am :-(( ).

Now I'm dealing with all these parameters: frequency, samples, channel, interleave, offset, & stream (drop-down menu unavailable, so this seems I need not to bother with this). LoL!
ImageImage
Petas
Map Maker
Map Maker
Czech Republic

Post by Petas »

Audacity Is best free program for convert .WAV to MP3. :GAME:
I'm not saying I have good maps and that I'm a great player. I'm giving into that the most of my time.
WebSite https://petasv.wixsite.com/petasvideos
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/PetasVideosTV
GameRanger ID 5603072
DISCORD ID : PetasVideosTV#9499
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

I know, friend Petas. I have Audacity. Yet I'm having problem with converting PS2-exclusive wav files, extracted from the Army Men RTS ISO for PS2, into wav files which can be played by a PC.
ImageImage
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

AMRTS PS2 sound-files' parameters

Post by Secg »

So far the only thing I've figured out is that all AMRTS PS2 sound-files seems to be mono. So for Channel parameters, the value should be 1. Then I need not to worry about the Interleave parameters anymore.

I've figured out the value 22050 for frequency parameters of these files: ant_death.wav; roach_selectwav; roach_move.wav; roach_death.wav; & possibly the same for amb_ants.wav as well.

Yes no matter how much I tweaks the parameters of these two files: ant_attack.wav and ant_select.wav; I did not manage to make them sound like the versions converted by TommyCD1 :(

I wonder where did I go wrong? idk

P.S: I wonder what is "offset" parameter's function anyway?
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

I booted up audacity this week and some things seem to come back to me.

For converting .wav files, most are in 22050 Hz like you stated. For .mp3 files, MFAudio does not seem to want to export them as .mp3s so you'll have to save them as .wavs and convert them later. .mp3s tend to be 44100 Hz, but I haven't figured out how to convert them as stereo yet, so I just had to make due with mono.

A little tip I figured out was, if you want to convert a file from the PS2, first find the .wav or .mp3 in the PC version, and then import it into Audacity. Audacity will then tell you if the sound file is 22050 Hz or something else, it will tell you if it is stereo or mono, and it will even tell you if the file is 16-bit or 32-bit.

Hope this helps.
"Can we order a pizza?"
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

Thanks for the tips, TommyCD1. Audacity indeed gave me some clues to figure out the frequency.

& you know what? When I lower the ant's & cockraoch's growls to the lowest frequency available, the resulting lowest-frequency growls, I think, were the original sound-files. Zwaga Beast? >:) .
ImageImage