Model Files For Halftrack / Tank? Want to modify them into heavy tank and troop transport.

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Model Files For Halftrack / Tank? Want to modify them into heavy tank and troop transport.

Post by TommyCD1 »

Try converting your raw mesh into a .obj format. I seem to have the most success with that for 3DS Max. Speaking of which, I've heard that the .xsi exporter for 3ds max 8 may also work on more recent versions of 3DS max, although I haven't been able to test this out.

And the pandemic logo appearing in the meshviewer means that the dr2 engine, and therefor the meshviewer, is unable to open or interpret the model. It may be because it is too high poly, or it may be due to engine changes made to the later relased AMRTS game. Either way, if you see the logo, then the .god file isn't going to work in the meshviewer. Sorry.

I am also very curious how you made the tank model. It looks extremely accurate. Did you make it yourself, or did you have reference?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Traffic_Accident
Grunt
Grunt
United States of America

Re: Model Files For Halftrack / Tank? Want to modify them into heavy tank and troop transport.

Post by Traffic_Accident »

j3rry wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:29 am Heavy tank model is gorgeous. Have you made it from scratch? Because it is very similiar to original game tank model.
TommyCD1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:39 am I am also very curious how you made the tank model. It looks extremely accurate. Did you make it yourself, or did you have reference?
I made it from scratch, but I did use a few references the AMRTS Discord provided me along with files I ripped from the game. I also had to photoshop some of the textures using the main tank's texture as reference.

I did my best to imitate the standard tank before making the hull larger and changing the turret shape.
TommyCD1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:39 am Try converting your raw mesh into a .obj format. I seem to have the most success with that for 3DS Max.
I found that exporting to .obj breaks quite a few of the textures, namely the tracks and the turret hatches of the tank. The .fbx and .dae files break the track textures, but that's as simple as dropping the track texture back onto the respective pieces. The hatches, on the other hand, are much more difficult as it uses UV mapping.

I've got .dae, .fbx, and .obj files of the heavy tank here if you want to look at them. Feel free to play around with it and such, and tell me if there's any issues with it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=115vsT ... HD83dwPAZU
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

Greetings, Traffic_Accident!

Secg's here.

My compliments on your Heavy-Tank model, which has captured AMRTS' aesthetics :SWEET: .

I'm glad that other forumers have been come to your aid, just as you've expressed your wish to generously contribute to this old Pandemic Studio RTS gem which we know and love :"> .
ImageImage
j3rry
Map Maker
Map Maker
Russia

Post by j3rry »

Traffic_Accident wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:23 pm
Better to upload 3Ds Max scene format with the textures included. Maybe it could be exported to *.XSI correctly.
Last edited by j3rry on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic_Accident
Grunt
Grunt
United States of America

Post by Traffic_Accident »

I put the heavy tank on hold for a bit, mostly because my cousin is scheduled to get an actual model of what I'm basing it off of and I want to get my hands on it to gauge the accuracy of my modeling.

Meanwhile, I finished the transport truck.

I'll have to eventually learn how to modify the chinook scripts to work in troop loading/unloading for this vehicle once I manage to get it into the game, unlike the heavy tank which is much more straightforward.
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

Traffic_Accident wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:15 am I'll have to eventually learn how to modify the chinook scripts to work in troop loading/unloading for this vehicle once I manage to get it into the game, unlike the heavy tank which is much more straightforward.
Credits to {EMC}Methuselah96 and j3rry for figuring how to summon & make a Chinook work.

You can download j3rry's unit expansion mod here

Now to add the codes:

Load-unload mechanics:
  • Open client > p > ingame; then open if_game_keybind.cfg:

Add this line:

Code: Select all

Bind("l", "client.event de::unloadcargo");

To load a unit into the Chinook, simply left-click on it & then left-click on the Chinook
    To unload a unit, press L.
    You can actually bind the unload command to any yet unbound key, just remember which key you;ve bound the unload command to & then press it while in game.
Add Chinook's portrait:
  • Extract the files from amrts.units.7z (you can download 7-zip for free here);
    Open base > interface > ingame;
    Copy the file if_chinook_portrait.tga
    And paste that file into your AMRTS's root-directory base > interface > ingame
Codes to summon the Chinook with the Radio Operator
  • Extract the files from amrts.units.7z
    Open base > objects > army > configs;
    Cope the file obj_army_chinooks.cfg
    And paste it in your AMRTS's root directorybase > objects > army > configs
Chinook's codes
  • Open your AMRTS root directory, then base > objects > army > configs;
    Then open obj_army_chinook.cfg
    Delete all the old codings & substitute them with these (note: you can modify the Chinook's HP & code if you want to; in my mod, the Chinook has 3,000 HP 8) ):

Code: Select all

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// Pandemic Studios
//

#include "fx_army_unit_chinook.cfg"

// UNIT
CreateObjectType("army.unit.chinook", "Transport")
{
  GameObj()
  {
    ThinkInterval(1);
    IdleTask("Tasks::UnitConstructor");	
    Properties()
    {
      Add("Filter::Army");
      Add("Filter::MechanicalFlyer");
      Add("Filter::Unit");
	  Add("Client::NoGroupSelect");
	  Add("Client::FacilityBar");