Two Modded MP Maps

These maps all have broken links. If you have these maps, upload them and we can update the links.
Forum rules
These topics need DIRECT links to the maps. You can post your website if you want but it must also include a direct link. If the maps are now included in a map pack, then post the link to the topic where the map pack is so that it leads to a valid link.

How do you rate Heroic Doubles & Heroic Eight Trains?

Trashy :BOO
No votes
Lackluster :|
No votes
Acceptable
No votes
Fine
No votes
Great! :ROCK:
No votes

Total votes: 0

Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Two Modded MP Maps

Post by Secg »

Hearty Greetings, Extreme Fighters & other 4umers!

Secg's here!

After months of coding, playtesting, and screenshooting, I've finally finished my two maps: one Doubles-based, the other Eight Trains-based, which offer player a glimpse into my new Heroic Mod 1.1.

Here is the Dropbox download link

After downloading, extract the two .x files into your missions > mp folder, then start the game, look for the map Heroic Doubles & Heroic Eight Trains and ENJOY ;) !

Note 1: Players can solo play against up to seven AIs (credits to TommyCD1 for discovering how to unlock Offline play). However, to play online, all players must have the same map(s)!

Note 2: Heroic Mod 1.1 is still in the making, so features in these two maps are not indicative of their counterparts in Heroic Mod 1.1 upon release.

Here are some features:

Maximum unit limit has been increased to 140 :D from 70.
Non-Hero infantry units now die screaming =))
Defensive structures now possesses the Random Target Style; so they will not automatically focus fire upon target with the lowest HP. Therefore, players can trick AI defense into attacking high-health units like Halftracks, Tanks, & Heroes.
All units' vital stats had been changed for balancing's sake
Units now have different command points, meaning that some units (Grunts) are more easily massed than others (Tanks). Indeed, a player can have THREE times as many Grunts as they has Tanks:
  • One CP: any non-defensive building, AA Gun, any Airstrike, any Mine, Bulldozer, Dumptruck, Minelayer, Radio Operator, Minesweeper, Grunt
    Two CPs: Medic, Grenadier, Machinegunner, Bazooka Man, Mortar Man, Sniper, Paratrooper
    Three CPs: Halftrack, Tank, Chopper, Guardtower, Pillbox
    Four CPs (!): Dumdum
    Heroes cost no CP; as Heroes command 8) the Army!
Each player can now make and command eight squads (again, credits to TommyCD1)
Each player starts with 5000 Plastic and 2000 Electricity
Each player starts with all Eight Heroes, who are tougher and stronger 8), except Hoover :-((

Heroes are now clad in Hero armor, making them absurdly resistant against normal units' & defensive structures' weapons:

Heroes beware! :S: Snipers' shots do full damage!

Heroes also do full damage against each other, so include in your squad of Heroes plenty of Grunts to be used as fodders :troll:
(credits to Arisen for discovering how to add new Armor type; credits to TommyCD1 for discovering how to expand Unit Display)

Here are some more screenshots:

Last edited by Secg on Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 27 times in total.
ImageImage
dmarijan
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
Croatia

Re: Two Modded MP Maps

Post by dmarijan »

Thanks for your effort, cant wait to try :ROCK:
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Patch Info

Post by Secg »

1st patch Aug. 8 2019
Radio Operator's movement speed reduced to 30 from 35.

2nd patch Sep. 8 2019
All combat infantry units, including Heroes, have their movement speed reduced, in order that tanks & halftracks will end up more often in the front line;
All non-Hero units (except Sniper) will automatically target & retarget the foe closest to them;
Defensive Structures' Target Style will remain Random;
:S: Snipers and Bullseye will now target foes with the most HP;
Scorch's Flamethrower's maximum range increased;
Riff's Bazook's miximum range slightly increased;
Sarge's & Vikki's Pistols' maximum range reduced;
Dumdum's CP increased to 4 from 1; cost increased to 100 Plastic & 200 Electricity;
Tank's CP reduced to 3 from 4; movement speed increased to 45;
Guardtower's CP increased to 3 from 2;
Minesweeper's & Hoover's movement speed increased to 40.
Last edited by Secg on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 14 times in total.
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

I've played the map and would like to weigh in now. I'd like to say first off that I've never really cared much for unit rebalancing acts or mods that go above and beyond with custom unit stats. I've also not been able to play this against another strategic human being, nor have I accumulated many hours experiencing each possible nuance or situation, so you can take my review with a grain of salt if you so please.

The Heroes
Starting with all eight heroes is fine, but it introduces the problem when maps like Doubles start too close to each other. You know in SBS if you lose Sarge you can consider yourself dead. Well this is only x8 now that all heroes are involved. Especially Bullseye, who is a sniper unit. It creates the situation where Bullseye hard counters all other heroes and creates a sort of stalemate.
Secondly, the hero type armor is extremely OP. Heroes simply don't die. Ever. I've found I can assault a base to no end, and without at least 4 expensive snipers in tow my efforts are for naught, since a big clump of hero units will simply squash even tanks. Sarge and Vikki's range doesn't help that they barely have to move from front lines to take out the snipers shooting them, the same snipers who take almost 10 shots to bring down Sarge.

The Resources
I have not played the Eight Train map, but the Doubles map seems to have a severe lack of electricity lying around. I found myself and my foes quickly spent out on useless vehicle units. I think there should either be more electric around, or maybe a garden lamp instead of the not very valuable Captain Dans in the center.

Minesweepers
Have you reduced their movement speed? I already had trouble with them falling behind in vanilla gameplay, and now they seem to be even slower. I found even my tanks running over mines because my sweeper was behind. And even when they are placed out in front, because they move slower, they will eventually get bumped from behind, which causes them to sidestep and fall back behind again.

Random Target Style
I want to go and say that I did not enjoy this at all. If two armies were to clash head-on and fight to the death, then Random would be effective. This is not the case however, as units tend to bunch together, move in straight lines, and take obfuscated paths. This can result in poor matchups where faster weak units meet with strong vehicles, and thanks to the Random target style not allowing retargeting, then you will usually find the high health units targeted first, resulting in the first army picking off units quickly while the second continues to focus on the stronger units. You could make an argument about micro managing your army or units, but this becomes less feasible or even simply impossible when multiple factions are engaged, or you are assaulting multiple fronts or defending your base. Furthermore, I think the exploit of using the terminator AI to lure aggressive units into an ambush is not very good design, nor is it fun to play against especially online with latency. I think if you wanted an effect of where units don't waste time picking the lowest health at each step, then I would have a suggestion:
Why not have splash damage units, or artillery units like Grenadiers, Tanks, and Snipers use the target style of "MaxDefense" so that they will only target the strongest opponent. Then you can have the single shot units like Grunts and Half-Tracks use the default aiming style to finish off the low health units. Sure this can be countered by careful spacing, but I feel it would be better than the current situation.

Unit Limit
Not all negative review. I found the unit limit to be nicely made, and while I never hit it ingame, I can definitely support the idea if varying degrees of unit costs. Although I will say that with other changes made, the Tank does not nearly deserve it's four unit cost in this environment. I found the Tank to be severely lacking from it's vanilla standing.

Unit Changes
Once more, I have not been able to compete with another human player, nor have I used each unit in each situation, but some changes I did find very notable.
  • Grunt - I found the grunt to be entirely worthless. Their range is too short, so they often target one enemy, then have that enemy move out of range. Unfortunately, unlike vanilla game, the Random target style prevents them from simply retargeting, and they will instead opt to pursue their target into danger. Combined with their low health, Grunts fail in almost every aspect, as even the Grenadier is cost effective.
  • Tank - As mentioned earlier, the tank has been vastly downgraded from vanilla. This isn't a bad thing, but I found them to be a bit extreme. They suffer the worst from the Random target style, since when their target runs, their turning and movement speeds are so slow making pursuit even worse. Their damage output I found to me mediocre against buildings, and their health doesn't seem to be as good anymore, I frequently found my tank squadrons easily defeated by machine gunners and half-tracks.
  • DumDum - Wow. The dumdum is ridiculous. Their range is insane now, and they aren't any more expensive from vanilla. On top of that, they little unit limit. With the large amount of starting plastic, I can see it being a very dominant or even overwhelming strategy to get even a few dumdums as early as possible to push into the enemy base. Their low health doesn't even stop them, thanks to the Random target style, since you can use a sponge unit to take the hits instead, which can only be beaten by manually targeting dumdums.
If these points I've made can be addressed, I would be glad to play an updated version of this map. But as it stands now, I believe it's a fine map to play, and one that is very creative in it's unit cast. Be that as it may, it is not a map I would wish to play.
:COFE:
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

Greetings, TommyCD1! Thanks for playing the map and giving me your detailed and constructive feedbacks. Here are some of my planned upcoming changes:

Concerning the ruleset:
I will re-write the Sarge ruleset so that a player will only lose after all eight of their Heroes have fallen;
However, since I've already set those two maps' rule as "Protect"; so losing Heroes should not be a problem.

Concerning the paucity of Electricity:
In the Double-based map, the Captains Dan will be replaced with Garden Lamps.
In the Eight-Trains-based maps, the Train Controller will also be replaced with a Garden Lamp.

Concerning the Dumdum:
Dumdum's electricity cost will be increased;
Dumdum's CP will be increased to four;
Dumdum's movement speed will be reduced.

Concerning the Tank:
Tank's CP will be reduced to three.
Tanks' movement speed will be increased from 40 to 45.
Still, it seems strange that you find the Tanks slow & their Attacks weak against buildings. Tanks' health and speed remain the same as in vanilla (1000 HP, 40 speed) & each Tank Shell still does full 75 dmg to vehicle and buildings.

Concerning the Minesweeper:
I reduced their Speed so that they will be much less likely to end up in the front-line. Still, as you've pointed out that Minesweepers could not catch up with Tanks, I will rebuff the Minesweeper's Move Speed

Concerning Units' Target Style:
Defensive Structures' Target Style will remain Random, since structure cannot move & thus chase; so players can trick defnsive structures into shooting Tanks & Halftracks & Heroes.

Concerning the Heroes:
Heroes got their armor type greatly strengthened because they cannot be revived. And it is my intention that armies without snipers will be easily squashed by Heroes. However, I will reduce the seeing range and shooting range of both Sarge's & Vikki's so that they will not easily see your Snipers and pick them off; that way, your Snipers will have a much easier time dealing with Heroes.
Last edited by Secg on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ImageImage
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

TommyCD1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 pm This can result in poor matchups where faster weak units meet with strong vehicles,
I have anticipated this scenario and have reduced the speed of all infantry units. In vanilla, the Grunt moves faster (45 speed) than a Tank (40 speed); yet in my existing Heroic mod the Tank is faster (40 speed) than the Grunt (38 speed). I think I can address this further by increasing the Tank's speed to 45. That way, Tanks will be much more likely to end up in the front line instead of fragile Infantry units.
TommyCD1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 pm the high health units targeted first, resulting in the first army picking off units quickly while the second continues to focus on the stronger units.
That is intentional. However, I do take your criticism about online latency seriously and I will change the Target Style of some units
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

This all sounds great, and I always cannot wait to test out a new version of the map. If you aren't going to make a new topic, I'd be sure to allow more than one vote on the poll too.
And thank you for addressing my concerns. I feel that the low electricity was the biggest factor of the last maps, so I cannot wait to see how things unfold with garden lamps.
:GAME:
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Post by Secg »

TommyCD1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:09 am I feel that the low electricity was the biggest factor of the last maps, so I cannot wait to see how things unfold with garden lamps.
:GAME:
Do you think a Soldering Iron & a Train Controller will suffice? In my mod, each of those two items provide 7500 Electricity. So 15,000 Electricity for the taking in the middle of the Map, imho, will still be ripe targets for contests.
ImageImage
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

However you wish man! If you would like a situation where holding the middle is best, then go for the lamps. But if you want a situation were getting to the hill early is better, or getting as much as you can and then gtfo, then the irons would be better.
"Can we order a pizza?"
Secg
Half Track L2
Half Track L2
United States of America

Target Style

Post by Secg »

Are other Target Styles than the unnamed default, "Closest"," MaxDefense", and "Random"? I downloaded DR2 Source Code yet can't seem to find where the Target Styles are :(
ImageImage