How to edit the english.dat file?

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: How to edit the english.dat file?

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Code: Select all

CreateControl("MissionTitle", "Static")
    {
      Font("Debriefing");
      Skin("Shell::CutInBorder");
      Style("Transparent");
      Geometry("ParentWidth", "HCentre", "Bottom");
      Size(-162, 50);
      Pos(0, -12);
      ColorGroup("Shell::HeaderText");
      UseVar("$<.missionDesc");
    }
Where is the $<.missionDesc variable? Also, what is the $<. sign? Thanks.
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

The $< means that the variable in question being referred to is a variable that is stored within a Window. In this case, it's the campaign selection window. The variable '$<.missionDesc' is one that is automatically created and updated to be the internal reference name of the current mission selected by the gamegod. In the case of mission description it usually gets formated like this
  • #missions.story.S13.description
The game then reads this variable and because of the pound symbol '#' takes the string input, looks it up in english.dat, and then outputs the given result, which in this example would be 'Village of the Tanned' for the english game.
The variable is both created and stored within the Window class "Game::CampaignView" which is in turn defined directly by the game's source code. If you want to have a custom text displayed, simply use this line of code instead.

Code: Select all

CreateControl("MissionTitle", "Static")
    {
      Font("Debriefing");
      Skin("Shell::CutInBorder");
      Style("Transparent");
      Geometry("ParentWidth", "HCentre", "Bottom");
      Size(-162, 50);
      Pos(0, -12);
      ColorGroup("Shell::HeaderText");
      Text("Your Text Here");
    }
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

I have a big question. If I place the if_shell_campaign_greatbattles.cfg in every mission (x files) and change the Text("Your Mission Name"); to the name of the missions for each cfg file, will it show the selected mission's name? Also, if I do the same thing using the if_goal.cfg or the goal cfg file, will it show the goals without glitching? If you don't understand what I have said, please post a reply saying "I didn't understand anything". Thank you! Please, answer whenever you can!
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

shell.x .cfg files don't do anything when placed into mission files. In order to update the mission title, you'll have to either create your own unique variable and update that each time you select a mission, or have all missions on screen at once and give each it's own name from there.

The goal text can be edited with the .cfg file placed into the mission, but the debriefing text will still show the unmodified variable. There is no way to change this on a per mission basis, so you will have to deal with it.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Okay I dont need the goals, I just need to show the mission names when each one is selected. Explain how to do that and thanks a lot! 🏆
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Like I said you have to define a variable manually and then use that and update it. I don't know how to do this without going in an learning it myself, which I do not want to do.

The only reason the special operations worked is because they were already programmed in the same way the great battles are, they were just unused.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

I have some few questions.
  • Is there any kind of way to change the "missions.gb.mymission.description" without editing the english.dat file?
  • Can I change any variable using something? For example:- $missionDesc = "Hello"; or somthing else?
Thanks!
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

ALSO, I HAVE FINALLY EDITED THE ENGLISH.DAT FILE WITHOUT CORRUPTING IT. CHECK IT OUT RIGHT NOW!
https://www.clanexf.com/forums/viewtopi ... =56&t=2842
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Anyway, how can I stop people from copying my map and telling that, the map is made by them? I really need to know how can I stop this. Please tell me some tricks. Thanks a lot. Have a nice day
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Ask them very nicely... There is no way to prevent this.
:Owned:
"Can we order a pizza?"