How to edit the english.dat file?

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: How to edit the english.dat file?

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Bruh, I asked more questions above and also I have edited the english.dat without corrupting it! Go check out, viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2842 Anyway, how are you? :GAME:
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Man! Whenever I create some trails and save the mission and play it, after I go back to editor using Ctrl + Shift + E, the trails are gone every time! And also, I told the AI to make units using "ExecuteScript" command and its not working! Everything is fine and good, no errors and no problems but, the AI refuses to build units or vehicles, why? Please help me! Thanks.

:( :PB :PB :NOOB2:

#Scripting sucks
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

{RaheeXF} wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:22 pm Bruh, I asked more questions above and also I have edited the english.dat without corrupting it! Go check out, viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2842 Anyway, how are you? :GAME:
TommyCD1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:25 amI wouldn't know how to do this, but even then, I recommend you do not try to edit english.dat because it would no longer be client side. If you edit english.dat, there is no way to distribute these changes without overwriting english.dat, which needless to say is extremely inconvenient and unaccomodating for multiple authors.
{RaheeXF} wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 pm Man! Whenever I create some trails and save the mission and play it, after I go back to editor using Ctrl + Shift + E, the trails are gone every time! And also, I told the AI to make units using "ExecuteScript" command and its not working! Everything is fine and good, no errors and no problems but, the AI refuses to build units or vehicles, why? Please help me! Thanks.
  • You have to save your mission first before playtesting it. If you play test it directly after editing it, all unsaved changes will be lost. Also, trails can be assigned to a specific team by selecting that team in the top right window, then placing them done. Once they are tied to a team, they will not appear unless that team is reselected. This may also be what is happening in your case.
  • Like I said before, AI is very complex. Typically, when something fails, it's rarely a failure of a single component. You have to make sure that:
    1. The AI has the appropriate resources to build the units
    2. The AI has the appropriate constructors to build the units
    3. The %.types called by the script exists and contains units that also exist
    4. The strategic.cfg file includes the script .cfg you are trying to use, as well as recruit_types.cfg
    5. The objective that executes the script is even being triggered at all
    Once again, I cannot properly debug your specific case since there simply isn't enough information. And also once again, I highly recommend you look through the original campaign maps to see how they accomplish scripted attacks, since not only are they very simple, but they are also for the most part commented.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Thanks a lot man. Also, I have edited the english.dat file and I dont see any errors. I dont know what are you talking about. Anyway, thanks for helping with the AI!
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

I have some few questions. Number one is, when I complete 2 goals of my mission, it still gives me bronze medal, why? Number two is, is there any way to make the letters of the cineractives lowercase? For example:- Made By RaheeXF. Thanks.

(Anyway, I will keep researching about the english.dat file cause I change the dat file without having any errors. So, yeah thats it!)
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

It's not enough to change the text of the medal goals, you have to also include an objective in the mission itself that when triggered activated the goal. For example, take a look at this from mission eight

Code: Select all

CreateObjectType("obj_goal_ant", "Objective")
{
  GameObj();
  ObjectiveObj()
  {
    Condition("HaveType")
    {
      Team("Ant");
      Type("*")
      {
        Amount(1);
        Operator("<");
      }
    }

Action()
    {
      CompleteGoal(1);
      GameMessage()
      {
        Message("msg_goalachieved");
      }
    }
  }
}

CreateObjectType("obj_goal_paratrooper", "Objective")
{
  GameObj();
  ObjectiveObj()
  {
    Condition("HaveType")
    {
      Team("Green");
      Type("army.unit.paratrooper")
      {
        Amount(1);
        Operator(">");
      }
    }

Action()
    {
      CompleteGoal(0);
      GameMessage()
      {
        Message("msg_goalachieved");
      }
    }
  }
}
As you can see, when these objectives are completed by either having at least one paratrooper on your team, or by killing every unit on the team "Ant", it will trigger the action "CompleteGoal". This is what completes medal goals. Complete goal 0 for the first goal, and complete goal 1 for the second goal.

And secondly, what I am trying to say is that modifying english.dat must be done GLOBALLY. There is no way to have individual mods done to it, since the game only ever looks speciically for 'english.dat' or whatever language you are using, and there's no known way to decompile or otherwise supercede data within it like as with .x files. This means that, if say you were to modify english.dat, then distribute this file, it would need to be installed along with your maps. HOWEVER, should anyone else EVER make their own edits to english.dat, since they might have the same idea as you, then their OWN english.dat file would have to be installed as well, forcing one to overwrite the other. This means that two mods wouldn't co-exist.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Owww I understood but with the medal, I have defined the objectives but it still gives me brownze medal, why?
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Tommy, I have some more questions. (I will have more soon...)

1. What is base_army.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

2. What is base_army_orderers.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

3. What is base_insect.cfg and also base_insect_orderers.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

4. What is debriefing.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

5. My Tan AI is still not making units, any more ideas why? (I will check again soon)

6. And finally, give me some tips on bedroom, bathroom and living room type of maps cause, when I put the wall props around the map, at a corner it mismatches, why and how to fix that?

Thanks a lot. Have a nice day, bye! 🏆 ❤️ 😄
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Tommy, I am just a fu**ing shit. I didn't add the buildings to the Tan-Base tag and I was just suffering. What the actual fu**. By the way, just answer my other questions except the Tan question. Thanks a lot.
:W :GAME: :PB :PB :PB :blah:
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

{RaheeXF} wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am1. What is base_army.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

2. What is base_army_orderers.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

3. What is base_insect.cfg and also base_insect_orderers.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

4. What is debriefing.cfg in every singleplayer missions?

5. My Tan AI is still not making units, any more ideas why? (I will check again soon)

6. And finally, give me some tips on bedroom, bathroom and living room type of maps cause, when I put the wall props around the map, at a corner it mismatches, why and how to fix that?
  1. base_army.cfg or base_tan.cfg is a dummy .cfg file that is used to define a base for the AI to use. It is included through the strategic.cfg file and typically contains a base which has a list of orderers for that base to purchase. It is a very basic form of the persona .cfgs used for single mission use.
  2. base_army_orderers.cfg are the orderers that said base will use. These orderers are the actual list of units that will be built when this orderer is, well, ordered. Again, it is just like persona .cfgs but much simpler.
  3. base_insect.cfg and base_insect_orderers.cfg is the same thing, but applied to ant teams. They don't have to be in separate .cfg files, but they usually are for organization sake.
  4. debriefing.cfg is used to define two types of global medal goals without the use of an objective. They are formated like this

GOALTYPE(0)
      {
        Amount(1337);
      }
    where GOALTYPE is the stat being kept track of, 0 is the goal that will be completed, and Amount is the variable that is used to determine if the goal is completed. For example, you could use this code

Time(0)
      {
        Seconds(300);
      }
    To have a mission that completes the FIRST medal goal automatically on finishing if the total mission time is less than 3 minutes. Or you can use this

ResourceSpent(1)
      {
        Resource("Plastic");
        Amount(4001);
      }
    To have a mission that completes the SECOND medal goal if the player spends less than 4,000 plastic in total. Again, I cannot stress enough how convenient it is that the original campaign files are mostly commented. Take a look at them to figure things out.
  5. bruh
  6. Some worlds have wall corner props baked in that you can use. Other worlds, such as the livingrm or the kitchen do not, so you will instead have to manually place walls so that they are intersecting, and then only zip one of the walls, while leaving the other unzipped. You can then either zip a hidden object behind the unzipped wall, or simply place a move::block region inside it to give the illusion of a closed corner.
"Can we order a pizza?"