How to edit the english.dat file?

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

How to edit the english.dat file?

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Tommy, I tried to edit the english.dat file using notepad, excel, wordpad and notepad++ but none of them succeed to edit the english.dat file and corrupted the english.dat file. Now my question is, is there any converter to convert .dat file to .txt file then convert it back to .dat file? If no, does anybody know how to edit the english.dat file? Thank you! :D
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: How to edit the english.dat file?

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Also, can you give me the singleplayer mission that you showed me in your stream? I need it for some knowledge. Anyway, which files to copy from S08.x to insert the timer to my map? Thanks. Bye.
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

One more question (Please don't mind), is there any way to create a region which only blocks units of a specified team?
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

{RaheeXF} wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:09 pmNow my question is, is there any converter to convert .dat file to .txt file then convert it back to .dat file? If no, does anybody know how to edit the english.dat file? Thank you! :D
I wouldn't know how to do this, but even then, I recommend you do not try to edit english.dat because it would no longer be client side. If you edit english.dat, there is no way to distribute these changes without overwriting english.dat, which needless to say is extremely inconvenient and unaccomodating for multiple authors.
{RaheeXF} wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 amAlso, can you give me the singleplayer mission that you showed me in your stream? I need it for some knowledge. Anyway, which files to copy from S08.x to insert the timer to my map?
  • I explicitly said do not ask for those maps because I am NOT going to give them out. They are private for a reason.
  • S08.x doesn't have a timer in it. If you mean S05.x, you can copy the file mission_exec.cfg from it, and then whenever you want to activate the timer, use this code in an objective:

Code: Select all

If("@@.engine.name", "==", "*@.engine.name")
        {
          // Display the time
          Cmd("iface.activate zonec_timer");
        }
{RaheeXF} wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:38 amOne more question (Please don't mind), is there any way to create a region which only blocks units of a specified team?
No, you cannot.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Thanks alot. You helped me alot. Thanks. <3
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Could you please tell me how can I replace the text "Great Battles" to "Coming Back Battles" and also, how can I change the image of the Great Battles button? Thank you.
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Also, is there any way to add more colors to the Multiplayer Mode? If no, is there any way to replace the colors with other colors? For example:- replacing red with tan color or something else. (Now don't ask why do I want to do that). Thanks.
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

{RaheeXF} wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am Could you please tell me how can I replace the text "Great Battles" to "Coming Back Battles" and also, how can I change the image of the Great Battles button? Thank you.
You can change the text where it applies in if_shell.cfg and if_shell_campaign_greatbattles.cfg . However, if you are planning on distributing these custom missions, I would highly advise against this, for the same reason I gave for modifying english.dat.
The Great Battles icons are all located in the shell.x archive. You can find them inside these files:
  • if_gb_image1
  • if_gb_image2
  • if_gb_image3
  • if_gb_image4
{RaheeXF} wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:59 am Also, is there any way to add more colors to the Multiplayer Mode? If no, is there any way to replace the colors with other colors? For example:- replacing red with tan color or something else. (Now don't ask why do I want to do that). Thanks.
No. This data is directly coded into the source code itself. It cannot be modified.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

I asked, where are the button icons are stored?
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

if_shell_templates.cfg
  • if_shell_greatbattles.tga
  • if_shell_greatbattles_hil.tga
  • if_shell_greatbattles_sel.tga
"Can we order a pizza?"