Does anyone know how to create textures that match with team color?

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Does anyone know how to create textures that match with team color?

Post by FlamingC64 »

I manage to create new working models for units but when I use grey textures similar to other model textures they only appear as grey and not the team color.
Does anyone now how to fix this?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Does anyone know how to create textures that match with team color?

Post by TommyCD1 »

The mesh itself needs to be edited. I'm not too familiar with it myself, but in terms of 3DS Max specifically, you need to make sure the mesh object itself (not the material) has a base color that is colored in a way that it does not have the same value for each RBG.

Basically, when you import your object into 3DS Max (in order to export it into .XSI) select the parts of the model you want to be team colored, then on the righthand side, you should see a small colored square that is the same color as the object. If you click on it, it will bring up a window you can use to change its color. It can be any color you want, as the .XSI file will only be read in two specific ways:
  • If the color has matching RGB values (such as 255, 255, 255 or 37, 37, 37) then it will appear fully white ingame and not be team colored.
  • If the color does not have matching RGB values (such as 255, 0, 0 or 150, 150, 149) then it will appear as team colored ingame.
Again, I am not very strong at or familiar with modeling myself, so this is the best explanation I can offer, as this is how it works as far as I understand. Also I can't provide screenshots at the moment since I'm currently dealing with a PC problem and I don't have any modeling software installed at the moment. idk
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974