My Map Just Starts And Says I Lost

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

My Map Just Starts And Says I Lost

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Bro, I just made a multiplayer map. When I want to play it, it just says I lost! What the hell is going on? Please somebody help me! :**:

Edit: Just removed the "Fixed Side" and it works again. Thank you.
Attachments
TAA.rar
(290.05 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
TAA.rar
(290.05 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: My Map Just Starts And Says I Lost

Post by TommyCD1 »

Seems this was solved before I could log on this morning. But yes, in the studio or in the game.cfg file if the setting SideFixed is set to 1, then the team will only spawn with whatever you manually assign to it in the studio editor. If it is set to 0, then it will also automatically create a Sarge and Bulldozer at its starting region, should it have one.

Also, this topic was originally in the wrong forum, so I've moved it. Questions or requests for help should go in the Mods Help, Questions, or Requests forum.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Thanks a lot
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

What are the main reasons of lags in the game? Also, how can I go to the center of a map in the editor? I am suffering to go to the center of my map! I want to put an object in the center of the map so the mini-map looks good. But I can't even find the center using the black screen of mini-map tab. It's very annoying! I hope you can answer my questions. Thank you. :COFE:
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

Online, the main reason for lag is network latency. If the host's machine has very high ping with your own, then it can result a second or two of input delay. Offline, however, the main reason for input latency is due to a very high amount of objects on the map. Objects include all actors and props, including static map props, resources, units, etc. The game engine is from 2002 after all, and once you reach a certain point, it has to slow down significantly to calculate how each individual unit must move each tick, and also process player orders for each of the units should they have one, and so on and so forth. Just remember that this game has a unit limit for a reason!

If instead you are talking about frame lag, then again the main reason is because of the outdated code the game runs on. This game was written at a time where the more advanced hardware was probably a single core processor with some integrated GPU or something. This bottlenecks the game severly and the only way you're really going to change this is to rewrite the game's rendering engine within the source code. Or alternatively, if you're simply referring to the framerate, then it is usually locked at 30-50 FPS intentionally, although you can try and remove this cap if you so choose with this mod of mine.

As for the problem with the mini-map, unfortunately something within the injected code itself is broken. Remember that the game didn't originally have studio code in it at all, and most of the legwork is being injected from Dark Reign 2, so some compatibility issues are going to occur until fixed. Otherwise, the FOV reticle still renders at least, so you can use that to determine the position of the camera relative to the map and find the map center from there. Alternatively, you could just edit a prop directly through objects.cfg to give it the exact coordinates of the center.

Code: Select all

CreateObject("attic.prop.fort_intersect", 3)
{
  MapObj()
  {
    HitPoints(0.000000);

Position()
    {
      Pos(609.000000, 10.000000, 609.000000); // exactly half your map's size. (i.e. Doubles is 1216 so half is 609.)
      Right(0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000);
      Up(0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000);
      Front(-1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000);
    }

Zip();
  }
}
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Did someone make a new engine for the game? Actually playing with 75 units and buildings is not very enjoyable. It just boundaries you from fighting properly. A war or battle is not called 50 V.S 50 units. A war or battle is called 1000 V.S 1000 units. I hope someone makes a better and cool engine for the game. Anyway, thanks a lot for answering my questions. Also, check out my new MP maps that I uploaded. Thanks.

:PB :COFE:
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

I have some questions. Please answer them if you can.
  • Can I turn an image in to a map? Like, I will draw a picture and I want the studio to convert it to terrain. Is it possible in any way?
  • How do I copy half of the map and paste it, so the map looks cool? For example: Look at default multiplayer maps, how are they designed very beautifully without even making a stupid mistake?
Please answer my questions. Without the answers, I can't make a good map. Thank you.

:-)) :S:
*RaheeXF*
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

• You can use the Dark Reign 2 studio to import a heightmap from a .TGA image. To create one, draw a basic map layout in monochrome, which full white values corresponding to high points, and full black values corresponding to low points. Then save or convert your image to a greyscale .TGA file with a bit depth of 256 or lower.
    You can read more about this method using the Dark Reign 2 construction kit.
    https://pandemic.bzscrap.org/dr2/tools/ ... ter4-2.htm
    Once you have a heightmap to use, you can import it into the Dark Reign 2 studio using this console command.
    • studio.importbitmap FILENAME 1
    FILENAME corresponds to the absolute pathname to your heightmap. For example:
    • C:\Users\Yourname\Pictures\heightmap.TGA
    1 corresponds to a number between 1 and -1 inclusive. It determines maximum difference there will be between the highest point on your map and the lowest point. Anywhere between 0.2 and 0.5 is optimal. Negative values will also work, but will invert your highs and low point, that is, the highest point will become the lowest point, and vice versa.
    Please note that for now you must do this with the Dark Reign 2 studio. The current studio injector does not support the developer console for Army Men RTS yet, so you'll have to instead copy over the desired terrain.blk from the Dark Reign 2 mission.
  • You cannot do this. The best you can do is to simply make a copy of the desired map and then edit it from there as a base.
Also, it would be greatly appreciated if, should you have additional questions that are not closely related to the original topic post (in this case a resolved error of instant mission completion) that you make a new topic for the question. This way should anyone have the same problem as you in the future, they can browse the Mods Help forum by topics and quickly find their question has already been asked, rather than search each topics' individual posts separately.
"Can we order a pizza?"
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

Thanks a lot! Also, I will stop making topics. I understood what you said about "Creating Individual Topics". Thanks.
*RaheeXF*
{RaheeXF}
Map Maker
Map Maker
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by {RaheeXF} »

What do you mean by "You cannot do this. The best you can do is to simply make a copy of the desired map and then edit it from there as a base."?
*RaheeXF*