Base of custom model not centered.

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Base of custom model not centered.

Post by FlamingC64 »

When I imported the model into the game it was not centered. I thought that this was a result of the SP-0 footprint not being at x:0 y:0 z:0 in 3ds max but that was not the case. I have made other models in the past and never had this problem. I was wonder if anyone had an idea of what's happening.
Attachments
model.JPG
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: Base of custom model not centered.

Post by TommyCD1 »

Well, the sp-0 layer only really determines the influence of the prop's footprint. If your model is off center, then that probably means the model's root is disjointed with it's children.

https://clanexf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2856
In my tutorial on how to model with 3DS Max 8 for the meshviewer, I specified that in the Schematic View window, the anchor is the object at the highest level, that is, it has no parents. This anchor is what will determine the actual center of mass or root for your model, and any children of it will be rendered offset from it as seen in the modeling software.
If you're having trouble aligning the rest of the model with the anchor, I would recommend moving the anchor to 0, 0, 0, then adjust the rest of the model to be positioned how you want it to be. As for if you have multiple objects with no parents, well I don't actually know what would happen. But perhaps that could also be the issue?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Re: Base of custom model not centered.

Post by FlamingC64 »

I have the hierarchy like this and nothing changed.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220705-120917.png