No collision in custom models. Need Help

Have modding questions or discovered something new? Post here.
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

No collision in custom models. Need Help

Post by FlamingC64 »

I found these settings(?) in meshviewer
I clicked the box in the bottom left labeled "Graph"
I clicked "Bounds" and it shows the the translucent box around the model. However, when I export the model into a god file and put it in game it does not have collision.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Attachments
IMG_20230516_144708744(1).jpg
TommyCD1
United States of America

Re: No collision in custom models. Need Help

Post by TommyCD1 »

The only logic the "bounding box" is used for AFAIK is the collision detection for projectile weapons. Projectiles will "hit" a target when the bounding boxes of the target and projectile collide.

Any other collision detection you may be thinking of: units walking into each other, props occupying cells of the terrain, units walking into or over props, buildings / props blocking LoS, are all handled by completely separate systems.

What is the exact issue you are having?
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Post by FlamingC64 »

The units are walking through each other. What system regulates this interaction?
TommyCD1
United States of America

Post by TommyCD1 »

If a unit is moving through a static building or prop, that building or prop is likely not zipped. You can zip an object in the studio by selecting it and then pressing CTRL + down. Note that whether an object even can be zipped is dependent on it's .GOD file, which means that is determined when the .XSI meshes are compiled.

If both units are moving, such as vehicles, and they appear to clip into each other, then this is because their models are too large. When making a custom unit, keep in mind that it can only ever occupy a single cell. Any extension beyond the single cell it occupies does not mean that other units will not be allowed to move into that area. This is most easily seen in the vanilla game with Choppers and their tail booms, Dump Trucks with their "gun" barrels, or Cockroaches with their abdomens and legs.

The second system is rather set in stone. The only option you may choose to modify is the units "grain size". A unit can be defined as having a grain size of 1, which means it will only occupy one quadrant of a cell. This is used by most infantry in the game. Otherwise, the unit will occupy the entire cell.
I may not make the best maps, or be the best player, but I put a lot of time, effort, and care into my stuff. That counts for something, right? No.
"Can we order a pizza?"
GameRanger ID: 913974
FlamingC64
Machine Gunner
Machine Gunner
United States of America

Post by FlamingC64 »

Thank you. This was very helpful. :SWEET: